Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lincoln's Kale Bagna Cauda

I meant to write about a fabulous event I went to at the Heathman about 2 months ago, called Foodportunity. It was for food folks around Portland to network and show off their culinary creations. I had an amazing time! I got to talk to the chefs and taste delicious bites from St. Jack's, Beaker and Flask, and Koi Fusion (mmm, Korean tacos), and many others.  I did pretty well, chatting up folks, pretending I was some big time food blogger...until I saw my chef hero.

There was Jenn Louis, of Lincoln behind the table serving up a delicious salad with crab and fennel and blood oranges. I have talked about her restaurant here and her baked eggs here.

I went red, then speechless. I am in awe of her talent. Helpfully, my friend managed to carry on a conversation with Jenn and her husband while I gobbled my salad, unable to make eye contact. Then, as we were walking away I made some vain attempt at conversation.

"I love the food, I mean, when I was really pregnant, I was at Lincoln, and the food, kale, yum..." I tried.

The ever gracious Jenn smiled and said, "Oh, email me and I will send you the recipe. It is easy!"

So I finally did.

Oh, and in my celebrity shocked state I didn't even notice her T-shirt with the words Sunshine Tavern printed on them. It wasn't until later that it occurred to me to ask what it meant. Turns out they have a new casual dining place which just opened. I am headed there next Thursday to check it out. I can't wait to try the homemade honey softserve!  I am sure it will be another home run for Jenn Louis and her husband. I will report back!

Here is the delicious kale recipe that I had while very pregnant :) I am so glad she shared it. Dining out is a very rare treat now, so I am glad to be able to make this at home.

Recipe from Jenn Louis at Lincoln Restaurant in Portland, Oregon. 
Kale Bagna Cauda
1 lb of kale, tough stems removed
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons butter  
1 1/2 teaspoons chile flakes
3 small cloves of garlic, sliced very thinly 
8 anchovies, packed in olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice  (or half a lemon to squeeze) 
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

1. Blanch kale in salted boiling water until wilted and chalky flavor disappears. Shock kale in ice water until very cold.
2. Remove kale from ice water and squeeze to remove all excess water.
3. Slice into thick ribbons and set aside.
4.   In medium pan warm olive oil, butter, chiles, garlic and anchovies over medium heat.  Use the back of a fork to break up the anchovies. Flavors will meld and anchovies with dissolve.
5. Add kale and warm though.
6. Squeeze lemon over kale, season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.  Serve.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't wait to try the Sunshine Tavern! I still haven't actually been to Lincoln though, so maybe I should go there first:) I pass by it all the time on my way to yoga and the menu looks great. Enjoy your kale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that sounds good!

    I am such a groupie I always freak out when I meet anyone even mildly famous. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recipe. It sounds delicious. I hope you enjoy the restaurant when you get there. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete