Saturday, February 26, 2011

Fun Reads: 1001 Foods You Must Taste Before You Die

 Ackee Fruit (photo from the internet)

I love stumbling across great culinary reads. This huge book, 1001 Foods You Must Taste Before You Die is a fun book. It is sectioned into fruits, veggies, meats, baked goods, dairy, and herbs. There are tons of photos and descriptions of interesting edibles from around the world. My favorite was the fruit and veggie section. I feel prepared now to head off to an ethnic market and experiment with new veggies and fruits - now I know what they are called! :)

Sapodilla (photo from the internet)
Some new things on my list (so let me know if you have seen these in the Portland area.)
Fruits
Miracle Berry: It makes sour things taste super sweet!
Jamun: A little black berry from in the tropics.
Sapodilla: Described as tasting like brown sugar and root beer, what could be bad. :)
Finger Lime: A cool looking red lime with little beads of juice.

Petai beans (photo from internet)
Veggies
Petai Bean: We saw these hanging up in Thai markets. I wish we had tried them. Described as being nutty and slightly garlicy.
Ackee: looks and apparently tastes like scrambled eggs. Sounds crazy and looks so cool.
Bitter Melon: We had these pickled in China. I want to try the melon here at home. Here are some recipes.

Have you had any of these? What did you think? What is the most interesting fruit or veggie you have never eaten?
 Finger Limes (photos from the internet)

I did feel proud that I have tried so many of the foods listed in this book. (I think eating everything when I am traveling has helped.)  I highly recommend picking it up and checking it out.

PS. One thing I will never eat is Casu Marzu cheese. Cheese filled with live maggots. I will eat pretty much anything once. But not that. Can't do that. (That sorta sounds like a Meatloaf song!)

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to check out that book. I'm afraid that mostly due to my less-than-global little town, I haven't tried many of these foods. I just recently tried mamey fruit, one of my adventurous purchases at our local Latino market.

    And I will NEVER EVER EVER eat that cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An Asian-food grocery in Eugene has mangosteens! They were a tad not-fresh, so they were super hard to hack into, but I can definitely see the appeal.

    My recommendation: MONSTERA DELICIOUSA FRUIT. Oh my. Oh my oh my. It's like a pineapple mated with sugar and gave birth to a fruit in something akin to a corn. Green outer shell falls off when ripe, and kernels of goodness inside when ready. AMAZING.

    I do have a sweet spot (very sweet spot) for strawberry guava. But maybe only because I last ate them on a tropical island in the South Pacific. SIGH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ackee is known to have a poison be careful on eating it.

    ReplyDelete