Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Different Way to Cook Pasta?

Justin and I were listening to more Splendid Table podcasts while driving to Eastern Oregon. (Have I mentioned how much I love that show?) There was a guest on, who for the life of me I can not relocate on the site, who described a different way to cook pasta.

He suggested putting pasta into the cold water and bringing it all to a boil. By the time the water has come to a boil the pasta is perfectly cooked.

I have done this repeatedly since listening and I swear it works. And, man, is that a time saver! Instead of waiting for a huge pot of water to boil and then waiting 15 minutes to cook the pasta, it is all done in about 20 minutes.

Try it out on some of these pasta recipes!

Arugula, Artichoke, and Spicy Sausage Pasta

Pasta Scorpio

Chicken Paprika 

Roasted Squash Pasta with Browned Butter and Walnuts

Pasta Lyonnaise

Tuna and Caper Pasta

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I did this last night! I started with cold water and the pasta was a little soft so next I will use hot water. Do you lid it?

    Oh and I just noticed your tickertape of visitors! Neato! I'm the one from "redwood city, ca" which is where my computer thinks it lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andria for the update. I don't put a lid on the cooking pot, I wonder if that makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard it a couple of weeks ago and was searching for it when i came across your this post. Might have been Harold McGee of NYT.

    http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/listings/110115/ @ 22:30
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/dining/25curi.html?pagewanted=all

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete