Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pasta Scorpio - Tomato, dill and feta pasta


Sorry for the lack of posting, but school has started back up! I am crawling through the work week. I come home and want to continue that crawling right up the stairs and into bed. I have forgotten how hard a work week can be! I have to admit that without my mom's help and the home cooked dinners she has been dropping off we would not have made it through the first week with students!


Today I finally was able to pick some homegrown tomatoes. Immediately a family favorite recipe came to mind. Pasta Scorpio is a super fast, ultra delicious pasta. I am all about the comfort foods right now and this recipe fits the bill.

If you are swimming in tomatoes use about a pound of fresh. If you are like me and don't have a ton growing, sub in a large can of whole tomatoes along with a few fresh.  I left out the garlic (use as much as you like!) and I slow caramelized the onions to make them a bit gentler on my squished stomach. The baby has taken over most of the space usually reserved for my stomach, lungs, etc.

Pasta Scorpio
About 1 pound fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped (don't worry about peeling them OR
1 large can whole tomatoes and a few fresh OR I am sure 2 cans of whole tomatoes would be a perfect winter substitute
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 or more garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup or more fresh dill, or 1-2 tablespoons dried dill
1/2 - 1 cup feta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

1 pound long noodle pasta, like spaghetti or any other favorite shape.

1. In a large pan with sides heat olive oil over med- high heat. Add onion and cook until soft (or caramelized), add garlic, cook 1-2 more minutes.
1.b Put on a large pot of water to boil to cook the pasta in. 
2. Add tomatoes to pan. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until all the tomatoes are soft and cooked.
2b. Cook pasta and drain.
3. Stir in feta and dill, taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Toss with hot pasta.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment