Friday, August 5, 2011

Raw Zucchini Salad with Black Pepper Vinaigrette


We went out to dinner for my birthday and I decided to be brave and try a raw zucchini salad. I have never eaten raw zucchini or had interest in trying it. I had a feeling it would be bitter or odd textured. Well, I was in for a surprise!

I had no idea just how delicious and delicate it would be.

I am so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and gave it a try. The next night I pulled out my mandoline and sliced a medium sized zucchini as finely as I could - into long ribbons. I tossed it with a simple vinaigrette and added a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

With gardens booming with zucchini and farmer's markets hocking them for cheap you have nothing to lose. Give this salad a try. What did you think? Please report back. Am I crazy to think this tastes great?

Raw Zucchini Salad with Black Pepper Vinaigrette
1 medium zucchini
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 or more grated parmesan cheese

1. Using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, cut the zucchini into long ribbons. Down the length of the vegetable.
2. In a small bowl or glass whisk the lemon juice, salt, pepper, sugar and olive oil.
3. Using your hands toss the ribbons in the dressing. Arrange on a serving platter and sprinkle with the cheese. Eat immediately. The zucchini will soften up and release water if it rests too long. It is still good, just a little different texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment