Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Dog Days of Summer

This has been a crazy summer for our family!

We have braved the wilds to take our 1 1/2 year old camping, we have played in Eastern Oregon, celebrated multiple birthdays and decided to sell our house and move into a rental.

We are finally settled into our new house. I am still getting used to the kitchen, it isn't as large as my old one and not all the burners work on the stove. I never realized how much storage I had for all my kitchen toys until I realized I couldn't keep them all at my finger tips. I have what looks like a mini Sur La Table in my basement now. :)

We had to leave our large garden but are making due with hitting up a friend's farm garden on a regular basis. This week we are eating our weight in Sungold cherry tomatoes! Once we started to slow down on popping handfuls of the sweet, fresh tomatoes into our mouth I remembered how much I enjoy them cooked.

Here I sauteed them in a touch of butter, garlic, and salt. Over very high heat, just until they popped open. One night we ate these as a side salad, sprinkled with fresh basil and oregano. The next night I mixed in a spoonful of pesto and slurped it up with long spaghetti noodles.

How do you like to eat your cherry tomatoes?

Also, any ideas on how to best enjoy Patty Pan squash? We have had them shaved, raw in this salad. But my attempts to cook them have ended up with a soggy mess, as did grilling.


2 comments:

  1. I grate my squash then salt it in a colander, squeezing out the extra salt. I've grilled it sliced before too, with some garlic and olive oil, but once again, salting in advance to draw out the extra water. It makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! We just had some delicious tomatoes as well. We made a salad with grilled chicken, peppers, avocado, cheese, salsa, sour cream, lime and lots of lovely yellow tomatoes.

    I'm glad you are enjoying the summer:)

    ReplyDelete