Thursday, May 3, 2012

Peanut Tomato Thai Soup



A few rainy Sundays ago, my mom was over hanging out with Levi and I when she started telling me about this amazing soup she made the previous night. Veggies, noodles, ginger, tomatoes and peanut butter! Peanut butter? I demanded she recreate it immediately. Luckily, my kitchen had practically everything needed to make a big pot of soup.

The soup was a family hit. Levi slurped down a bowl as fast as we did. The veggies and ginger give it a Thai flavor while the peanut butter rounds out soup and gives it a richness, but not really a peanut flavor. I have made this soup repeatedly, adding more veggies each time.

This original recipe is here, but I have modified a bit by adding more vegetables. The pot of soup comes together very quickly, making it a great weeknight meal.


Peanut Butter Thai Soup

1 tablespoon sesame oil
2-3 tablespoons crushed garlic
1 bunch green onions or 1/2 an onion, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons chopped (or microplaned) ginger
1-2 chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bit-sized pieces
1 large can of stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup peanut butter
6 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup chopped brocolli
1/2 cup chopped carrots
handful of cilantro

1 large bunch of long thin noodles, either rice or wheat (I have used both and actually prefer the wheat noodles)

1.  In a large soup pot heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, ginger and chicken. Cook 2-3 minutes until chicken starts to brown.
2. In a large measuring cup or bowl mix together the tomatoes and peanut butter.
3. Add tomato mixture and stock to the soup pot. Bring the heat up to high. When it comes to a boil, turn back down to medium and add all the vegetables, except the cilantro, and noodles.
4. When noodles are cooked through, in about 7 - 8 minutes, spoon into large soup bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro. I also like to add a dollop of siracha for some heat.

PS. I have a give away coming up soon! (I just have to write it up!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment