Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Green Pea Gougeres


Have you been to Bob's Red Mill? It is an actual place, not just a business which packages every sort of flour, bean, grain, or mix you could imagine. Levi and I love to go to the Mill for an afternoon field-trip - lunch (delicious deli!) and a bit of shopping. Anything that Bob's Red Mill sells packaged is available in bulk at the store. I have brought home 5, 6, 7, and 12 grain cereals, pancakes and waffle mixes, beans, all sorts of flours. If it exists and is edible, Bob's Red Mill has it!

I wasn't too surprised when I spied a bin full of pale green flour. I had no idea what it was, but was up to give it a try!  I knew I needed to take some home. Green pea flour is a beautiful shade of green with a soft texture. I brought home a scoop and then started pondering what to do with it.



Part of the fun of having a kiddo is introducing them to all sorts of new flavors and textures. Levi loves anything bread or cheese so cheese puffs, or gougeres, popped into my head. I was imagining gooey cheese and pale green puffs being nibbled on by my little guy.

I started with this Ina Garten's Cheese Puff recipe. I subbed 1/2 cup of flour for a 1/2 cup of the green pea flour. I also made it more kid friendly by using melty mozzerella cheese instead of gruyere and parmesan. I also used less salt because it was going to be for Levi. This was a mistake, next time I would use the whole amount to help the flavor pop.



The results were beautiful! The pale green puffs were not as light as traditional cheese puffs, but were very good, especially warm.

It was a fun way to use an unusual flour.


Here is a picture of Levi eating at the park. Rice cakes are like cheese puffs? Right?

(This is a link-tastic post! Sorry!)

Have you tried any unusual flours? Any successes?

PS. I have a great give away coming up from OXO. Stay tuned! 




No comments:

Post a Comment