Thursday, March 22, 2012

Chick Pea Curry

Oh, Hi!
It has been a while.
Things have been a bit a busy lately, and I have to admit, I haven't had much to say. And anything I did have to say, I felt like had already been said somewhere else on the internet. This is probably still true. Nonetheless, here I am. I am going to try a little harder. :)



I saw a version of this recipe on The Kitchn. I ended up not really having all the ingredients so I played with the idea and came up with a really good one bowl dinner. It is mild enough for all family members to enjoy - big and small - but really rich in flavor. The best part is that it came together in about 20 minutes. Peeling and cooking the sweet potato took the longest.

Chickpea Curry
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
1 teaspoon mild curry powder
1 inch of fresh ginger, chopped fine
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 large sweet tater, peeled and chopped into one inch pieces
1 can of chickpeas, drained
1 can coconut milk
a few handfuls of fresh spinach or frozen spinach
handful of chopped cilantro
salt, pepper and a squirt of siracha (or any hot sauce)

1. In a large pan heat the oil over medium heat. Add garlic, curry powder, ginger, and onion and cook until the onion starts to get soft.
2. Add sweet potato and a 1/2 cup water. Cover pan and cook about 10 minutes until sweet potato is soft.
3. Add the chick peas, coconut milk, spinach and cilantro. Cook until heated through.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with a squirt of siracha or hot sauce on top.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of 20 minute dishes: I used all recipes nutritional yeast gravy recipe the other day (just google "nutritional yeast gravy recipe" and it will pop up. AMAZINGLY GOOD! I've been eating it with rice, beans, salsa, cilantro, and tomato. Oooh, and a poached egg on top (after it's all mixed). Or perhaps nonfat plain yogurt too? YUM. It might not beat the awesomeness of Yumm Sauce (have you tried that up there?), but it's darn, DARN good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard so much about the YUMM sauce, I keep meaning to try it! That dish of yumminess, sauce and an egg sounds like heaven to me. Thanks for the recommendation Jessika - I will go look it up!

    ReplyDelete