Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Simply Delicious Brussel Sprouts


The other day friends and I were talking about food that we used to hate but now adore. Beets, green beans, onions, brussel sprouts and lamb were high on almost everyone's list. I remember the first time I ate brussel sprouts which I actually liked - they were drenched in butter and salt - so what could be bad!


This is a much simplier and healthier way to fix sprouts and they will taste even more delicious! I am sure you have heard it a million times, but roasting really does sweeten the veggies up. I have to admit it helped that I got a new cookie sheet! I want to roast everything on it! It has ridges all over it so nothing sticks but everything browns beautifully. This method works on practically any vegetable. Carrots, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus all turn out deliciously. So try this method on a vegetable you used to hate and see if it changes your mind.

Roasted Brussel Sprouts
1 lb brussel sprouts, halved
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a serving bowl toss sprouts with olive oil. Spread onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Roast for 15 minutes. Check to see if they are slightly browned yet soft. If not move sprouts around on the pan and roast another 5-10 minutes.
4. If you want before serving drizzle with a bit more olive oil and salt.

Hmm, blogger is making it very difficult to deal with photos. Has anyone else experienced this? 

4 comments:

  1. Hi FarmerJo,
    Yes... blogger is frustrating with photos. I'm considering changing services. Categorizing is difficult too on Blogger. But that's such a leap (to change), and I do like my little blog haven. But ugh indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got Brussels Sprouts planned for my garden this year, I'll be sure to roast them when they're harvestable :) I love love love roasted veggies!!! The sprouts look delicious. Enjoy the new sheet pan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, this is how i fix brussel sprouts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok is it weird that I am more focused on the cookie sheet than the food? It looks so cool! =) Still can't convince Mitch of the potential of brussel sprouts but this version looks delicioso!

    ReplyDelete