Friday, November 27, 2009

Turkey Success


I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I have so much to be thankful for and I loved having my family around the table to celebrate with. The food was great too! If I do say so myself.

Leading up to Thursday, I was having nightmares about the thirty pound turkey. In addition to the farm turkey, we had another one from the store arriving on Wednesday. The stress of housing 45 pounds of meat really got into my head!


Justin did some research and we decided to divide the thirty pounder in half. It took some time and muscle. I have to say Martha makes it looks MUCH easier then it actually is (but then again, that is why she is Martha). We spatchcocked it, but then cut through the breastbone to divide it.

One half of the turkey was rubbed with garlic, rosemary, and butter (oooh, how local!) and then slow grilled for 4 hours over mesquite chips. It came out a gorgeous burgandy, with skin as crispy and smoky as bacon, while the meat was tender and smoky and lovely!

Rainy BBQing


The other half was flavored with lemon, parsley, curry powder and garlic. It took 3 hours at 300 degrees. It was juicy and delicious!

Oh, and Justin (my hero!) brought the smaller turkey back to New Seasons. The lovely butcher cut it up so our freezer is now full of turkey breasts, legs, and thighs. The neck, wings and back are simmering on the stove. Soup for the future!

No more turkey nightmares for a while.

PS. Here is Doug, ready for the party. (Not really, he wore it for 1.2 seconds)


No comments:

Post a Comment