Sunday, November 29, 2009

Oregon Kiwi!


The day after Thanksgiving we traditionally load the car with turkey sandwiches and friends to go wine tasting. If you didn't already have a reason to visit Oregon, our wine country is gorgeous and easily accessible from Portland. Oregon wine country is especially festive Thanksgiving weekend, where for a modest tasting fee, you can sample tons of wines and eat your fill of cheese and crackers. (The turkey sandwiches can be eaten on the way home!)

This trip came with a bonus surprise at the end. As we were driving through Newberg, we saw a sign reading "KIWIS, U PICK!". I immediately pleaded with my freezing friends to let me take the car to the U-pick farm. They agreed, knowing my joy for all things U-pick. We were in for a surprise.

Tucked among the wineries is a small farm with kiwi arbors, H & B Farms (no website). We had no idea that kiwi even grew in Oregon. The farmer had both sweet kiwi berries and fuzzy kiwi. So for $1.50 lb I have filled my kiwi longing locally. Can't beat that!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a fun tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find. The planned day would have also been marvelous without the detour. I hope you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had NO idea, I love kiwi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am putting together a food resource guide for Yamhill Valley. I would like your permission to use your kiwi picture for the overview on the East Valley, the portion of the region extending from Dundee up into Rex Hill. With permission, I will include photo credit to you and your blog. Thank you,
    Heidi Lindell
    yamhillvalleygrown@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete