Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Swim'n in Persimmon

Luck has smiled on me this week! One of my favorite fall fruits is the fuyu persimmon. My friend JQ (who did my video) is my connection to homegrown persimmons! His mom grows them on her farm. Sunday night, JQ dropped by with at least 15 pounds of persimmons. I am swimming in persimmons now.
I am a huge fan of the fuyu persimmon which is squatter than the hachiya persimmon. The fuyu is sweet and not unlike a spiced apple. I think they begin to taste a bit like spiced pumpkin pie when the fruit gets riper. You can eat the fuyu like an apple, but I tend to peel them because the skin can be tough.

I have been eating and sharing the fruit - but I can still only use half of my kitchen table. I decided to try a persimmon galette. Because really, what do you need more of after Thanksgiving weekend? Pie, obviously. This one is healthy.. it has fruit.
Keep telling yourself that. :)
I not a great baker. Measuring is not my strong suit - so I buy pie crust. It makes life easier. And galettes faster.

***************************

Fuyu Persimmon Galette
1 pie crust
5 peeled and thinly sliced fuyu persimmons
3-4 tablespoons apricot, peach, apple butter, or pear jam (I was lucky to have some ginger pear jam that my friend had made for me)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup brown sugar


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Unroll the pie crust onto a baking pan, I also add a silpat. Spread the jam on the pie crust, but leave a 1-2 inch border around the edge. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cinnamon and the ginger onto the jam. Top the jam with the persimmon slices. Sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon and brown sugar on top of the fruit. Roll the edges of the pie crust in, around the fruit to create a crust.

Bake about 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the fruit looks soft.

I would have eaten with leftover whipped cream. But there is no such thing as leftover whipped cream.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your creative attitude - you seem like a free-wheeling cook, making the most of what you have

    ReplyDelete