Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Rhubarb-a-rita

Nothing helps wrap-up a fabulous sunny day at the Portland Pug Crawl like an icy drink.

Two Saturdays ago, I bought a pile of bright red rhubarb stalks at the Portland Farmer's Market. It was a busy week and as the days passed the stalks became more and more wilted. My motivation to whip up a rhubarb pie also slipped away. What was I going to do with the sad pile?

While waiting for the Splendid Table to start on Sunday, I remembered that last spring Lynne Rossetto Kasper talked about her favorite birthday drink, a rhubarb-a-rita. She simmered and strained the rhubard to create a syrup. Then she mixed it with tequila and lime. It was the perfect solution to my rhubarb problem.

It tastes fabulous! A smooth mix of sweet and sour. And oh so pretty! (I wish I had taken a picture!)

Rhubarb-a-rita Syrup
Makes about a bit more than a pint of syrup. The syrup stores well in the refrigerator for improptu party needs!

2 Cups chopped rhubarb
2 Cups water (or to cover the rhubarb)
1 1/2 Cups sugar

Simmer together until sugar has melted and the rhubarb is cooked and broken apart into strands. Cool. Strain the syrup (over the sink!) through a cloth napkin or a cheese cloth. The syrup should be a rosy pink shade.

Rhubarb-a-rita
Shake 1 shot of syrup and 1 shot of tequila with ice. Pour over the rocks and add a squeeze of lime. (I like to cut mine with some homemade seltzer too.)

Enjoy the Spring sunshine. It looks like summer is just around the corner.

2 comments:

  1. mmmmm, sounds good! Last week I made a rhubarb and strawberry compote, which we had with brownies...delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we should have these before we go see SITC!

    ReplyDelete