Saturday, October 22, 2011

Baked Plantains


Plantains are a great fruit to get to know. It looks like a banana, but with a thicker peel and a tougher meat. Plantains need to be cooked to eat them. They are staples in multiple cultures around the world. The first time I cooked with them was while attempting a Cuban dinner. Justin and I double deep fried them. They were amazing! We had been craving them again, but knew that we really didn't need the added fat and calories that deep frying brings. Since I am obsessed with baking and roasting veggies I decided to try them out in the oven. 


They turned out fabulously and were very, very easy. The sliced plantains are tossed with a bit of olive oil and salt and then laid in a single layer to bake. Turn once to ensure that both sides get nice and crispy. Now plantains are a regular in our dinner rotation.

Our favorite way to eat them is sprinkled with chopped garlic and a squeeze of lime. Adding them to a rice bowl is also delicious. It makes a simple dinner of beans and rice into something a little special. 

Here they are with some sweet tater and black beans.

What is your favorite way to eat plantains? (I have simmered up a chunk for Levi with a little water, and then mushed it. He loved it!)

I have done this with very ripe (black) and very green plantains. I think the baking works best with the greener fruit. The very ripe is more mushy and better for a quick simmer and mush. The mush is still delicious with the garlic, salt and lime. Because really, what isn't good with salt and lime. 

Baked Plantains
2 -3 plantains, thick peel cut and peeled away. Sliced into about 1 inch thick pieces
2-3 Tablespoons oil
sprinkle of salt
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lime, ready for squeezing.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees
1. In a bowl toss plantain slices with oil and salt.
2. Lay in a single layer on a baking pan.
3. Bake 10 minutes and then flip, bake another 10 minutes.
4. Toss with more salt, if you want, lime and garlic.

Best enjoyed hot.






1 comment:

  1. Hey there! You won the shutterfly cards on my blog but I couldn't find an email anywhere so I figured I'd just leave you a comment. Please email me at "www.bouffeebambini@hotmail.com" include www.
    and I will get you your code for the free cards:)
    congrats!!!

    xoxo Hanna

    ReplyDelete