Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Whole Grain Spring Risotto


I am still recovering from my sugar coma from eating all those s'mores I won from Enjou Chocolat! (AND the when Blogger went down I lost this post - and apparently a follower! Come back!)

Closer to home, while at the foodie event, Bob's Red Mill gave me a bag of mixed whole grains, called Grandé Whole Grains Cereal/Pilaf.  It is a mix of hard red white wheat, long grain brown rice, whole oats, whole rye, whole triticale, whole barley, white buckwheat, and sesame seeds.  I have been trying to incorporate more whole grains and beans into my diet so I was excited to try these.

The package had a risotto recipe printed on the back. I was skeptical because I think of risotto as labor intensive due to having to stir it constantly. This recipe called for cooking the grains in broth and aromatics then stirring it up. That was a recipe I could do with a new baby!

After making it I don't think I will ever go back to traditional risotto. This cooks up so easily and the flavor is outstanding! Nutty, rich, and flavorful. I have modified it from the package's directions. I have made it repeatedly with different vegetables - peas, arugula, spinach, and my favorite, leftover asparagus.

Spring Risotto
Modified from Bob's Red Mill's recipe
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
one onion, chopped finely
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups Grande Grain mix
4 1/2 cups veggie or chicken broth
2 cups cooked veggies cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 - 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a lidded sauce pan over medium-high heat, heat oil or butter. Add onion. Saute until transparent. Add garlic and grains. Cook 2-3 minutes or until garlic is fragrant.
2. Add broth. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and cover. Cook 40 minutes or until grain is tender.
3. Stir in cheese, it will begin to look creamy. Add in veggies. Adjust seasoning. Enjoy

This is extra delicious with a poached egg on it. But then again, almost everything is better with an egg on it!


In other news, my baby had his first taste of real food this weekend :) Time is flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment