Sunday, August 29, 2010

Cold Cucumber Soup


I am heading back to work next week for the first time in about 5 months. I have missed work and all my students dearly and feel mentally ready to return. I am a little worried about physically making it through a full day of teaching.

My recovery from months of Hyperemesis Gravadarium has been slow, but steady.  I am forever indebted to my family and sweet husband for my constant care and to my best friend, who is also pregnant, for convincing me to get on up and start moving again. Our walks have become a favorite part of my day.

In an attempt to get back into school routine I spent today cooking and planning for the week. The surprise of the day was cucumber soup. The only thing producing in my garden are cucumbers. I am not pickling this year, so I had to get creative. An empty blender, a handful of dill, and some sour cream whizzed up with the cucumber made a tasty treat. A spoonful of Oregon salad shrimp made it a meal.

This makes about 4 cups of soup. I ate it straight from the blender, all bubbly. I am sure the flavors will only deepen with a few hours in the refridgerator. Don't add the shrimp until ready to eat for best shrimpy texture.

Cold Cucumber Soup
1 large cucumber peeled and seeded, chopped into hunks
juice of half a lemon
1 garlic clove
1 handful fresh dill (or a tablespoon or so of dried)
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon salt
dash of hot sauce
1 cup sour cream
(optional garnish: 1/2 cup diced red pepper and 1 cup salad shrimp)

1. In a blender combine all ingredients, except for garnish. Blend until smooth.
2. Pour into a bowl, garnish and EAT!

I think this is the simplest recipe I have ever written! :)

A bowl of this, with some crackers, will be a perfect school day lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment