Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lime and Ginger Salmon with Rainbow Slaw


Last week someone listed off some ingredients that were in need of a recipe. I immediately thought of this combination of salmon and a red cabbage slaw. I had to try my idea out, so I headed to the store for similiar ingredients. It was my lucky day, avocados, limes, and wild salmon was on sale.


The meal isn't particularly "local" but it does use in season ingredients. Red (it looks purple to me, why do we call it red?) cabbage is at its sweetest right now, citrus is booming and avocados are ripe for the picking in California.



Lime and Ginger Salmon with Rainbow Slaw
1 lb wild salmon fillet
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
zest from half a lime
a squirt of lime juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
large pinch of salt and some fresh ground pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. In a small bowl mix all ingredients except for the salmon. It should be like a paste, if it is still crumbly squirt in a bit more lime juice.
2. I like to make a tin foil "boat" for my salmon fillets to make clean up easier. Tear off a piece of tin foil slightly larger then the salmon. Fold the sides to make a short wall the way around. This will keep any juices in.
3. Put salmon in the "boat" or onto a baking pan. Cover with the paste.
4. Bake 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink and the meat is flaky.

While Salmon is baking make Rainbow Slaw.
1/2 head of red cabbage, sliced thinly
1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
1 red or yellow pepper sliced thinly
2-3 green onions, sliced into small rounds. Use both white and green
1 avocado, diced
1 handful of cilantro, chopped into small pieces
Juice of 1/2 a lime
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon white or brown sugar
A large pinch of salt

1. Toss veggies and herbs in a large salad bowl.
2. In a small bowl or juice glass whisk lime juice, rice vinegar, sugar and salt until everything disolves.
3. Dress the salad and toss to combine.

I served this up with brown jasmine rice. It was great has a hot dinner and tasted great cold the next day too!

4 comments:

  1. The salmon and the slaw both sound wonderful and your plate is enormously colorful. I'll bet your meal was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all those colors!! I wish I was in California right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I would love this!

    To answer your question: I get the food mostly by just asking for it! Sometimes places will contact me to try and review them but I also contact the ones I would really like to try on my own! I've been happily surprised at the outcome :)

    ReplyDelete