Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Stocking the Pantry: Part Two


If you have read my blog for any length of time you are aware that I love to eat and cook Asian food. I am particularly partial to Thai flavors after a bout in cooking school while traveling in Thailand, but Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, Korean or Indian also thrill my taste buds.

I am very lucky to have a wonderful Asian supermarket near me which feeds my Asian condiment obsession at reasonable prices. Here is a list of what I keep in stock nearly all the time.  Do you think I am missing anything? Wanna learn more about using a certain condiment? Tell me! I would love to explore a flavor profile!


 For Asian flavors
coconut milk
ginger (I store in the freezer and grate it when I need it)
lemon grass (slice and store in the freezer)
fish sauce (a secret ingredient!)
limes
yellow miso paste (my go to for quick soups or salad dressings. This lasts forever!)
green or yellow Thai curry paste (also lasts forever)
rice vinegar
soya sauce
dark, toasted sesame oil
sambal oelek sauce (hot chili and garlic paste)
and my newest obsession is something called prik pao. It is a combination of salted, fermented black beans, chili flakes and sesame oil.

Have a great day! 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on Foodie Blogroll... May it bring you a lot of traffic! I am now following your blog & have added a link on my site. (Hope you don't mind)

    Stop by when you have a chance: www.sacramento-blog-uncut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete