Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pumpkin Risotto with Kale Crisps

Someone recently told me I was a "lazy cook". I am not sure what that means, but I certainly have never considered all the cooking I do to be on par with the adjective lazy. I do like to simplify things. I try to use as few pans as possible, for my husband's sake. I generally use simple ingredients (fish sauce and fried shallots, not withstanding) to make tasty food. So this term, lazy cook, has been gnawing at me for a few weeks. So this recipe has garnish. Garnish isn't something lazy cooks do? Right? :)

Pumpkin risotto is a great fall dinner. Hearty, but not heavy, and inexpensive, but looks fancy. It is simple to make, it just takes some time stirring over the stove. Pumpkins are everywhere this time of year. If you are lucky enough to have a sugar pumpkin, roast it and use the flesh for this dish. I am 99% sure any roasted winter squash would be a delicious addition.

Arborio rice is the traditional risotto rice. If you don't have it, you can use regular white rice, but the texture won't be the same. (It will still taste good though!)

Kale crisps are roasted kale that transforms in the oven to light-as-air vegetable crisps which are as addictive as potato chips. Make a big batch and snack on the leftovers.

Pumpkin Risotto with Kale Crisps
1 1/2 cup cooked pumpkin (canned works just fine too)
4 cups chicken or veggie stock
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlics, very finely chopped
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or sage if that is what you have in your garden)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving.
1 bunch kale
olive oil
salt

For Risotto
1. In a saucepan, heat pumpkin and chicken stock to a simmer.
2. In a larger sauce pan, heat oil or butter over medium heat. Cook onions until soft and starting to get golden.
3. Add garlic and rice. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until garlic is soft. Add fresh herbs.
4. Add 1/2 cup of simmering stock. Stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
5. Add another 1/2 cup and continue with the process of stirring, watching to see it is absorbed, and adding more until all the stock as been used.
6. If the rice is still undercooked, heat additional stock or water, and continue until the rice is soft.
7. Stir in cheese. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if you want.
8. Top with kale crisps and some additional cheese. Now it is ready to serve.

For Kale Crisps
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Chop kale into bite sized pieces.
3. Toss with a little olive oil and spread on a greased cookie tray. Try to make it one layer.
4. Sprinkle with salt
5. Bake about 10 minutes or until crisp, especially around the edges.
6. Store extra in a sealed tupperware.

PS. I have been a lazy poster, sorry. I have been sick for a while, but I am back to work and in the kitchen now.

1 comment:

  1. Oh. I am definitly trying this Kale Crisps
    tonight. I bought four bunches ($.99 each) of different kinds of Organic Kale (on sale at local Molly Stone's) and I am going to try this Yay! I love Kale, and now another recipe to add - great! Thanks

    ReplyDelete