Monday, June 29, 2009

Frozen Yogurt with Honey

Two summers ago, Justin and I traveled to Croatia. We loved EVERY minute of it. The people, the swimming, the grilled seafood and lamb, the luscious and inexpensive wines. But I especially loved the sladoled. Sladoled is the Croatian word for ice cream. Sladoled was a heck of a lot like the Italian gelato, creamy and fruity, and on every street corner. My standout favorite quickly became the yogurt sladoled. It was tangy and creamy with a wonderful mouthfeel.

This year I had been making due with Haggen Dazs Tart Frozen yogurt. It tastes fine, but at $5 a pint and full of corn syrup it wasn't a great choice. Lucky for me, I came across my ice cream maker while we were rearranging the kitchen cabinets! I rinsed it out and dropped into the freezer and started hunting for a recipe. Again, I stumbled across a fabulous recipe on 101 cookbooks. Heidi Swanson has an amazing blog with great recipes.

I changed the recipe a bit, used nonfat yogurt and honey, and whipped it up in an hour. I used Trader Joes European nonfat yogurt for this batch. I think next time I will use Nancy's yogurt, which I think tastes far better. I would drain it longer though.

Doug helped clean out the empty yogurt container. He is good like that! Always earning his keep.


Nonfat Frozen Tangy Yogurt
1 qt nonfat yogurt
1/4 - 1/2 cup honey

1. Layer a strainer with some tea towels, cheese cloth or paper towels. Put strainer over the sink or a larger bowl.
2. Dump yogurt into the strainer and let drain for at least 30 minutes. I got a cup of liquid from "thick" yogurt. I would drain longer if still loose.
3. In a clean bowl combine yogurt and honey. I love the tart taste, but if you like it sweeter add closer to 1/2 cup honey. Adding sweetness later as a topping is a good option too.
4. Put in ice cream maker and turn on. It was ready in about 15 minutes.
5. Eat and enjoy with a drizzle of honey, some good hood strawberries, OR (my favorite) grilled peaches.

I stored my leftover yogurt (which gets a lot harder) in a tuperware, with plastic wrap pushed onto the surface.

What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Ever make it?

1 comment:

  1. This looks wondeful. You might also want to try TJ Greek yogurt.

    ReplyDelete