Saturday, January 3, 2009

Doggie-Friendly Chicken Soup

My house is like a hospital ward right now. My pug is recovering from oral surgery and my husband is feeling under the weather. This calls for chicken soup! In order to make chicken soup dog friendly you have to leave a few things out of the pot. Dogs can not eat onions or salt. This soup seems really bland to me - but Doug adores it. When I pull it out of the refrigerator he dances around. Which is pretty good for a sick little dog.

I use cheap chicken parts to make soup. My mom taught me to use chicken backs. Ask a butcher for some chicken backs. I get the hormone free backs for 89 cents a pound. It is a great deal.

Doggie-Friendly Chicken Soup
1 pound of chicken backs, legs, wings, or leftover chicken bits
3 carrots, roughly chopped
3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
10 or so cups of water

Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. When hot add chicken bits and sear the chicken so some of the fat starts to melt into the pan, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and celery. Cook another 2-3 minutes. Cover with water, turn down the heat and simmer 45 minutes to an hour.

Before serving to a dog:
Cool the soup completely. Make sure all the bones are removed, but add the cooked chicken meat back into the soup. A scoop of broth, chicken meat and some veggies will be lapped up by a happy doggie.

To serve to a human:
Remove all the bones from the soup. Add some salt, garlic and noodles to the broth. Serve hot with a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment