Sunday, September 21, 2008

Tropical Banana Bread

I am not a huge fan of bananas. I think my opinion was influenced my aunt, who tell stories (illustrating her niece-devotion) of gagging while spooning bananas into my baby-bird mouth.

I will eat a perfect green- yellow banana, but they go from perfect to brown and mushy far too quickly. I started my morning looking for a better banana bread recipe. Then I ran across a recipe for lime, banana, and coconut ice cream and my bread options opened up.

This is a great, moist, not too sweet banana bread that helps me remember tropical days on this Fall Sunday afternoon.

Put the Lime and the Coconut in the Banana Bread

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed overly ripe bananas
3 tablespoons yogurt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup grated coconut (I used sweetened, but either would be good)
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 tablespoon lime juice

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl mix oil, sugar, eggs, bananas, yogurt, salt, ginger, coconut, lime juice and zest until combined.
In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and soda, and flax. Add the dry mix to the wet mix and fold until just combined. Pour the batter into a greased bread pan. Bake 1 hour until a knife inserted comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment